Available during business hours
Project Hope and Power
Project Hope & Power: teaching the skills needed to begin working toward financial independence. Presented in collaboration with Soroptimist International of Saratoga County.
What is financial abuse?
Financial abuse is a prevalent and powerful component of domestic violence:
- financial abuse is experienced in 98% of abusive relationships, and
- financial uncertainty was one of the top reasons for staying in, or return to an abusive relationship.
How is financial abuse perpetrated?
- control all of the finances, leaving victims without any resources.
- prevent victims from obtaining employment.
- behave in ways that lead to victims being terminated from their employment.
- coerce victims into actions that amass debt or abusers amass debt in the victim’s name.
Why is financial independence so important?
Adequate income and credit worthiness are essential to accessing basic necessities such as housing and employment.
What is Project Hope and Power?
Project Hope & Power is an eight week program designed help people increase or develop their financial aptitude. Volunteers from Soroptimist International and Wellspring staff provide training, mentoring, case management, and goal development assistance during the program. The curriculum helps participants acquire the following skills:
- Safety planning
- Financial management
- Establishing credit
- Increasing personal financial assets
- Accessing affordable housing options
- Upgrading job skills to advance professionally
- Setting up and achieving goals for increased independence
Participants who successfully complete the program are paid a stipend which may be used to support goals developed during the program.
Who is eligible?
This program is available to anyone who is:
- Limited in their choices because they do not have the resources to provide the basic living necessities for themselves or their family.
- Willing to commit to an eight-week education and mentoring program.
- Willing to work on personal goals to increase financial independence.
Who offers this?
Wellspring and Soroptimist International of Saratoga County developed Project Hope and Power to empower women to be more financially independent. Because Soroptimist is a global women’s organization whose members volunteer to improve the lives of women and girls through programs leading to social and economic empowerment, Project Hope and Power group sessions are only open to women. Wellspring is a nondiscriminatory agency and therefore offers this program on a one-to-one basis to any male who meets the eligibility requirements.
Get help now. Our services are free and confidential and available 24/7 via our hotline. Call now if you need to!